Stress Recovery Challenge!
It is no secret that emotional and psychological stress can wreak physical havoc on the body. We’ve all heard of the ‘mind body connection’ and probably have our own stories of how something has gone downhill physically during times of stress. Even current scientific research has connected stress to physical ailments. And lately stress seems to be the theme of the world… for us, for our kids, for our circumstances...
Before we jump in with what products we’re using, let’s take a quick look behind the scenes of what’s happening with stress and WHY it affects so many body systems. Here are six simple, daily habits to focus on for the next ten days as we help our bodies recover from stress:
In a few words… the constant activation of our ‘fight or flight’ response. When we are stressed our bodies activate what's called the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis - the loop of neurotransmitters and hormones that include cortisol. When we’re being chased by a lion, this loop is a good thing. It keeps us moving and keeps us safe. The harm comes when the loop doesn’t turn off. Consistent overproduction of cortisol keeps this loop going.. and going… and going. Which means our systems are literally flooded with stress. And this stress starts to suppress immunity, slow digestion and can have long-lasting effects. “The persistent activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis in the chronic stress response and in depression probably impairs the immune response and contributes to the development and progression of some types of cancer.”
So, what do we do about it?! We find ways to effectively process stress and we support our bodies DAILY with supplements, high quality nutrition and essential oils!! These are the products we will be using over the next ten days (and beyond!) to support our minds and bodies during stress. Turn on your push notifications and join us daily for ways to recover.
- EndoFlex & EndoFlex Vitality: Roll EndoFlex over your adrenals (lower back) morning and evening as well as over the thyroid (front of the throat) morning and evening. Add a drop of EndoFlex Vitality to your daily NingXia Red or take it in a capsule as a dietary supplement. Note: EndoFlex and EndoFlex Vitality are the same essential oil.
- Nutmeg: Diffuse this oil frequently, especially in the mornings! Apply over the adrenals alone or in combination with the DIY Adrenal Serum (recipe coming!). Add Nutmeg Vitality to your daily NingXia Red. Note: Nutmeg and Nutmeg Vitality are the same essential oil.
- NingXia Red: drink 2-4 ounces daily!
- Super B Tablets: Take 2 tablets daily, ideally in the morning or with your first meal of the day.
- CortiStop: Take 2 capsules in the morning before breakfast. For extra benefits, take another 2 capsules before retiring and use daily for 8 weeks.
- Choose at least one thing from the immune support options below to use consistently!
ENDOFLEX ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND
Endoflex supports healthy thyroid function, hormones, metabolism, and adrenals - the entire endocrine system! This oil blend will help all of these pieces of your puzzle come together as you gradually work your way to a place of more energy that comes from within. By providing balance to this body system, Endoflex gives vital support to the pituitary and pineal glands as well as the parathyroid, thymus and adrenal glands.
Endoflex is a blend of:
- Spearmint - A rocket pack for your metabolism while supporting your nervous system to bring beautiful balance.
- Sage - Commonly used for purification and release of the negativity that wears us down from the inside - physically and emotionally
- Geranium - Say "I love you" to your hormones, liver, and pancreas with this beautiful, floral oil that is great for the endocrine system.
- Myrtle - You say "Thyroid?" I say, "Myrtle!" Pair them together and watch the beautiful friendship begin.
- German Chamomile - Calming to your system and especially supportive of healthy liver function.
- Nutmeg - The star of adrenal support. Like a car that can't shift into the next gear, when our adrenals are worn out, we will sputter and find no oomph to continue moving forward.
Endoflex is especially supportive for tweens and teens as these periods of life are associated with high turnover of neurons, growth and development. Add in the psychological stress of the last couple years, and our children can especially use some support in this area!
NUTMEG ESSENTIAL OIL
If there were one oil you could use to support your adrenal system (the stress system!) it would be Nutmeg. This oil is high in the constituents sabinene, alpha-pinene and beta-pinene, making it a wonderful option to support the digestive system, to protect the liver, to help maintain healthy circulation and to provide the adrenals with the support they need on a daily basis.
Nutmeg is a key component of the Endoflex Essential Oil blend and will be used during this challenge in a few different ways. Nutmeg is recommended for anyone in the family - just follow dilution guidelines for age. You can diffuse Nutmeg with Orange, Frankincense and Clove for an uplifting seasonal blend. You can also add Nutmeg Vitality to your daily NingXia Red for a wonderful pick-me-up for the adrenals!
One of the reasons we see benefits through consistent use of NingXia Red is that we are providing a usable source of nourishment to the adrenals. As our body builds up stores of what it needs to keep our energy more consistent, we’re able to heal from the cycle of crazy ups and downs that come with poor nutrition, lack of stress management skills, and lack of rest.
NingXia Red is a powerhouse source of antioxidants! It is impossible to get this many antioxidants from another food source. So much of our daily life exposes us to things that can cause cellular damage, so our bodies need all the antioxidants we can get, especially during times of psychological stress.
NingXia Red is recommended for the whole family. Adults and kids alike can benefit from this superfood supplement!
SUPER B TABLETS
Super B is a B complex supplement that is great for maintaining healthy energy levels, supporting mood and cardiovascular and cognitive function. This is important all the time but especially when our adrenal system is on overdrive.
B vitamins are essential to our health and well-being, and each B vitamin performs a unique and separate function, which is why a ‘B Complex’ vitamin is essential. Unfortunately, B vitamins must be replenished daily, as they are water soluble and therefore not stored in the body. It is difficult to gain all the B vitamins we need from our food, even in the best case scenario. Plus, different medications such as hormonal birth control can wreak havoc on the body’s B-vitamin levels, which is why it’s especially a good idea to supplement.
CortiStop is an herb and essential oil supplement that helps to naturally balance the stress response by calming the body and lowering cortisol levels. As cortisol declines, strength and energy return, and the body moves back to a state of equilibrium. Each ingredient in CortiStop is chosen for a specific purpose:
- Pregnenolone: shown to reduce corticotropin-releasing hormone (CRH) in experimental models. CRH is the first step in the production of the stress hormone cortisol. Pregnenolone is also a precursor hormone from which all other hormones are created. It is important for the body's production of progesterone, which blocks cortisol receptors.
- DHEA: another precursor for progesterone, DHEA is often reduced as a consequence of stress.
- Phosphatidylcholine: may protect the brain, liver and stomach during times of stress; also a key component for every cell in the body.
- Phosphatidylserine: helps to balance the Hypothalamus-Pituitary Axis, benefits cognitive function, and may blunt cortisol production. The effects may be more pronounced in people under chronic stress.
- Black cohosh: a phytoestrogen that helps counteract the effects of cortisol, helps stop stress responses, and may elevate mood.
- Clary sage: another phytoestrogen that supports hormone balance and helps uplift the mood
- Frankincense: a grounding and uplifting oil that also works as an antioxidant within the body.
- Fennel and peppermint: help soothe the stomach and aid in digestion
One effect of stress (whether a few days, months or even years!) on the physical body is a dampening of the immune system. According to the American Psychological Association “ Psychologists in the field of "psychoneuroimmunology" have shown that state of mind affects one's state of health.
"In the early 1980s, psychologist Janice Kiecolt-Glaser, PhD, and immunologist Ronald Glaser, PhD, of the Ohio State University College of Medicine, were intrigued by animal studies that linked stress and infection. From 1982 through 1992, these pioneer researchers studied medical students. Among other things, they found that the students' immunity went down every year under the simple stress of the three-day exam period. Test takers had fewer natural killer cells, which fight tumors and viral infections. They almost stopped producing immunity-boosting gamma interferon and infection-fighting T-cells responded only weakly to test-tube stimulation.” - Source
Thieves Essential Oil
The powerhouse essential oil for immune support. Get this oil on, in and around your body as much as possible!
- Diffuse it with Tangerine, Peppermint and/or RC before and after school for a respiratory and immune boost.
- Pair it with Lavender and Cedarwood at night for restful, immune supporting sleep.
- Add Thieves Vitality to a mug of warm water or Echinacea tea and honey 1-2 times a day.
- Roll diluted Thieves along the spine, over the lymph nodes, and on the bottom of the feet multiple times a day.
Inner Defense is just what the name suggests - a defense and protection from all that today’s world can throw at us! This powerhouse blend of essential oil supports the immune and respiratory systems, making it a wonderful addition to your health routine either for daily use or for when your defenses start to go down! We love and recommend Inner Defense for anyone 12 years or older. For younger children, you can pierce the capsule and apply it to the spine and/or bottom of the feet.
- Clove essential oil: has profound immune support and is a powerful antioxidant
- Oregano essential oil: high in carvacrol and thymol that support the immune system; also aids digestion, supports muscle and joint health and flexibility.
- Thyme essential oil: rich in thymol, supports the respiratory and immune systems
- Lemongrass essential oil: supports digestion and proper immune function
- Lemon essential oil: high in limonene, supports respiration and immune function, cleansing and purifying
- Eucalyptus Radiata essential oil: known for its support of the respiratory system, also cleanses and purifies and supports immune function
- Rosemary essential oil: a cleansing and purifying oil, supports the immune and respiratory systems
- Cinnamon Bark essential oil: provides immune support and antioxidants
ImmuPro Chewable Tablets are one of the easiest ways to give your body a good boost! These tablets are packed full of immune-supporting herbs and essential oils that stimulate the immune system (both cell-mediated and humoral immunity!), provide necessary minerals like Zinc, Copper, and Selenium, and allow the body to rest by providing a small amount of melatonin. When we are stressed our bodies need sleep even more to allow healing to occur. So adding melatoning to the mix just makes sense!
ImmuPro combines Reishi, miatake and Agaricus blazei organic mushrooms with NingXia Wolfberry polysaccharides and Orange essential oil to create an immune supporting supplement that is perfect for anyone 12 and older!
STRESS & CHILDREN
Unfortunately, our children are not immune to the effects of stress - both our stress and their own, but there are so many things we can do to support them well. Almost everything on this list for our Stress Recovery Challenge is appropriate for your children, tweens and teens!
- EndoFlex: dilute according to age and apply over the adrenals (lower back) and thyroid (front of the throat)
- Nutmeg: dilute according to age and apply over the adrenals; for children 6+ add a drop to a smoothie or daily NingXia Red
- NingXia Red: appropriate for children age 2+ or at your comfort level; may be diluted with water or added to a smoothie
- Super B: adults and tweens age 12+ take 2 tablets daily; For young children look at KidScents MightyVites
- CortiStop: recommended for adults
- Thieves: dilute according to age and apply to the spine, over the lymph nodes, on the bottom of the feet; diffuse
- Inner Defense: recommended for ages 12+; can use topically for younger children
- ImmuPro: recommended for ages 12+; can use KidScents Unwind for younger children
Learn more about stress its effects on the physical body: