Ditching conventional perfumes is possibly one of the most impactful things you can do for your health, but that doesn't mean you can't still smell great! Whip up your own, customized perfume with this simple recipe and change your scents with the seasons!
When it comes to making your own perfume, you will want to layer different scents to create base fragrances, mid-tones, and top notes. When you smell a perfume, the top notes are typically the first thing you smell, followed by middle and then base notes. When you are actually making the perfume, you'll want to start with base notes first and work your way up.
These are about 15-30% of the blend. Think heavier, warm scents like:
- Cedarwood, Spruce and ‘tree oils'
- Frankincense, Myrrh
- Sandalwood, Vetiver
- Clove, Cassia, Cinnamon
These should be the bulk of your blend at 30-60% and are usually full-bodied, complex, and comprise the focal point of the blend while also balancing other components.
- Rose, Jasmine, Geranium
- Lavender, Chamomile, Rosemary
- Ylang ylang, Clary Sage
- Cardamom, Ginger, Lemongrass, Black Pepper
These should be 10-25% of your blend. These oils are sharp, uplifting, refreshing, and light to finish off the blend.
- Peppermint, Spearmint
- Grapefruit, Tangerine, Lemon (citrus oils)
- Eucalyptus, Basil, Juniper
- Pine, Sage
Choose one or two scents from each category, and combine them until you end up with a fragrance you love! Lighter recipes work well for the warmer months, while cooler months are great for deeper, spicier combinations.
If layering feels too complicated, simply follow your nose! Grab a few bottles of oil, open all of them and hold them under your nose together to get a feel for the aroma. Trust your instincts as to what you enjoy because you truly cannot go wrong!
DIY Perfume Spray Base Recipe
- 1 Tbsp V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex (or any unscented carrier oil)
- 2 Tbsp pure grade alcohol or vodka
- 30-40 drops of essential oils of choice
- 1 Tbsp distilled water
- Summer Citrus: 10 drops grapefruit, 10 drops orange, 5 drops peppermint, 3 drops Lavender, 3 drops Roman Chamomile
- Anthro Inspired: 10 drops Grapefruit, 10 drops Bergamot, 5 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce, 5 drops Citrus Fresh
- Jasmine Aloe Mist: 25 drops Jasmine, 6 Tbsp aloe-infused witch hazel in place of alcohol and water. This is great for summer skin! The witch hazel will lock in moisture without drying skin, while aloe vera provides hydration without any greasy residue.
- Island Time: 5 drops Frankincense, 2 drops Patchouli, 7 drops each Lime, Bergamot, Orange, 5 drops Lavender, 2 drops Spearmint
- Flower Power: 5 drops each Rose, Jasmine, 7 drops each Tangerine, Lavender
- Vanilla Chai: 10 drops Vanilla, 3 drops Clove, 5 drops Cassia, 7 drops Stress Away
- Bougie Hippie: 10 drops each Jasmine, Neroli, Vanilla